7.8.11

the self help book

I've never been one to seek any sort of advice from the "self-help" section at the bookstore. Good thing the The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading, a.k.a "How to Read a Book" by Mortimer J. Adler and Charles Van Doren doesn't really count.

I can't say for certain that it's been of assistance, but I intend it to be helpful. I'll update as I go along.  However I understand it's premise, as I've been led down the road to this book multiple times, which means it was meant to be. I had it in my cart on amazon earlier today when I came across it used today for under $3. 

Wikipedia is the best way to source and reference a reading list reference book, ah, is there many of these, and that's a twister!  There it's said that..

There are three types of knowledge: practical, informational, and comprehensive. He discusses the methods of acquiring knowledge, concluding that practical knowledge, though teachable, cannot be truly mastered without experience; that only informational knowledge can be gained by one whose understanding equals the author's; that comprehension (insight) is best learned from who first achieved said understanding — an "original communication".


Well I can't quite possibley think of a reason not to read this. Other than the fact that I bought four other books today. (The Great Wall of China, Life is Elsewhere, The Farewell Waltz, and Burmese Days. But I'll be putting everything except for The Real Life of Sebastian Knight on the back burner.


No comments:

Post a Comment