20.9.11

old files

While searching for a file on my computer, I stumbled across something called "30 books". I have no idea where I found it.


It recommends 30 novels for me after this brief character description:


"Your lesson is the development and expansion of your mental consciousness. Find a good teacher and spend a good part of your time and energy on learning from his wisdom."

Which is freakishly accurate considering a lesson I'm going to in a few days from a great, wise man.
I picked out a few that I will likely read:

1. For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway A short, powerful contemplation on death, ideology and the incredible brutality of war.
2. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald Set in the Jazz Age of the roaring 20s, this book unravels a cautionary tale of the American dream. Specifically, the reader learns that a few good friends are far more important that a zillion acquaintances, and the drive created from the desire to have something is more valuable than actually having it.
3. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck Steinbeck’s deeply touching tale about the survival of displaced families desperately searching for work in a nation stuck by depression will never cease to be relevant.
4. Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse A powerful story about the importance of life experiences as they relate to approaching an understanding of reality and attaining enlightenment.

Well this was a nice surprise! 

No comments:

Post a Comment